The Reality of Website Success
60% of your visitors are using smartphones while being distracted by other activities. Writing for mobile users is different. A short attention span dictates writing your page content in short, single focus paragraphs each with their own header. Page loading speed is critical. A greater than 3 second load time will result in a 53% loss of traffic. Search results favor very fast websites. You should consider using Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) to deliver your message, almost instantly thanks to AMP page caching automatically provided by Google and others.
Your message should be focused for the device its viewed on. Your mobile-friendly, responsive website is a good start but its a far cry from being successful in today's mobile-centric world.
Mobile First / User First
Successful companies (possibly your competitors) have adopted a "Mobile First", "User First" strategy championed by Google.
The web has always been about the message. Delivering your message is of paramount importance, the delivery vehicle (your website) is of secondary importance. Unfortunately, the web development industry has lost sight of this, thinking the website is the message.
Proliferation of Smartphones
The rapid proliferation of smartphones has caused several industry-leading companies like Google, Facebook and Twitter to take a fresh look at the web and propose new guidelines. My colleagues and I at Alpha Group Software have embraced many of these new concepts. For us, it's a Mobile First, User First strategy as we guide our clients toward Website success.
Success in Six-Steps
Website success is a six-step process.
- Create a clear, concise message with a positive call to action
- Define what constitutes success
- Know who your competitors are, your website only has to be a little better than theirs.
- Build a simple, very fast, website using Mobile First and User First principles
- Present your message with original quality content and well-crafted page titles and descriptions.
- Frequently update, and add to, your content
- Develop links from well-respected websites in your field.
My colleagues and I at Alpha Group Software have a simple, pragmatic philosophy. Its all about your message and it's our job to help you deliver it to qualified prospects in a cost-effective manner.